
Thanks for all your comments on my thinkinglifebook. Really appreciate it. As I was looking back on the Colour of Life reflection, it just struck me to look into how the colour blind people really perceive our world. Compare the two photos above, we can see that the grapes which are purple are actually seen as blue by a colourblind. Observing in more detail, we can see that the red at the background is viewed as brown by a colour-deficient person.
Firstly, there are two types of colour blindness (1)Protanopia (2)Deuteranopia. Interestingly, people with the above two types of colour blindness( or some may term it as colour deficiency) seem to be unable to see colours like red. Instead what they see are (1)dirty brown and (2)dirty yellow respectively, according to the website: http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~brettel/DaltonDemo/DD08.html.
A sudden sadness really came over me. In my opinion, the colours really don't look very nice. I'm not here to judge. But I really thank God that He gave me my perfect eyesight (though its getting worse as I age). But then again, I really don't know how to feel. In short, I'm rather perplexed.
Is there anyone who can enlighten me? How should I be feeling?

Personally, I think it is sympathy you are feeling, and that's perfectly fine. Like what SJ says, sympathy does not mean "you fake it or act it out". To me, it means standing with(not trying to become)another person and learning to understand his/her feelings. It is true that we will never fully understand how they feel since we do not experience it ourselves, but sympathy is not merely empathy; it also encompasses a strong concern and positive regard for another person. Hence, it'll be good if compassion grows from it, where an emotion develops into an action.
ReplyDeleteIt is also great to give thanks to our loving Father for blessing us with a healthy eyesight. This does not mean being hypocritical as we know that God gave each of us different gifts and blessed us in His own special ways. More than often, we take the simple things in life for granted and fail to see how blessed we actually are. Reflecting upon this can be a timely reminder for us to count our blessings and give thanks to God for everything we have:)